We are here, we’re all alone in our own universe

Stephen McGlynn is meant to be in Rotterdam this week. Instead, he’s stuck at home, suffering through his fifth Microsoft Teams meeting of the day. Here he shares his experiences of Eurovision and brings you up to speed on this year’s event.

My view of “Love Love, Peace Peace” at Eurovision 2016 in Stockholm, Sweden

I’ve just celebrated four years of being at Regent’s! 🎉

My first day was on 2nd May 2016 (a Bank Holiday, how mean!), and what a wild time that first week was. The interim bursar had arranged a back-to-back timetable of meetings, in which I “speed-dated” a seemingly endless list of staff and student reps. On the fourth day, I had the joys of a Health and Safety audit. Fortunately, there was light at the end of that tunnel: in just my second week in post, I was headed to Stockholm for Eurovision 2016!

I’d never been to Eurovision in person before. I’d always watched it with friends – at home, in a bar, in New College JCR – with drinks and scorecard in hand, and enjoying Graham Norton’s pithy commentary, as we laughed along with the weirdest and wonderful performances on our screen. It was never something I’d taken that seriously.

It started as an idea after a few too many gins. I can sometimes get carried away with an idea (no, I’m not responsible for the keepcups!), and next thing, a group of friends somehow found ourselves the proud holder of Eurovision tickets! Stockholm was calling.

I needed to prepare, and got stuck into Eurovision more than ever before that year. The build-up to the competition was just as exciting, and I followed along with the better national song selections (a particular nod here to Sweden’s MelFest!). Since then, my Eurovision season now begins in January each year – though quickly ends in May, as my limited attention span leaves me as a fickle fan who doesn’t long after many of the classic songs of the yesteryear.

I tell a lie. Getting tickets is actually a complex operation. You thought those laptops were for exams and conferences? Lol.

Eurovision in person is something else – but it’s still the over-the-top campfest that you’d expect, while also bringing together the love and inclusiveness demonstrated with slogans such as “building bridges”, “come together”, “all aboard”, “dare to dream” and “open up”. 🤨

So what were my main reflections on the in-person experience?

1. The atmosphere – and not just in the arena! Eurovision takes over a city for a week, and that friendly, inclusive vibe cascades throughout the streets. You’re part of a diverse crowd, with people of many different nationalities and ages coming together to celebrate. You’re among people who feel able to express themselves freely. That’s powerful.
  1. Your impression of a performance and song differs to that when you see it on TV. I now understand how the jury votes can differ so much from those of the at-home televoting audience. In person, you also come to appreciate the fact that artists are singing live, and I think their talents are often lost when I watch from home.
  1. It’s so fast… It’s exhausting being part of the audience. Each song is just 3 minutes, and the 26 performances run back-to-back with no breaks. While viewers at home see a “postcard” showing off some tourist site or similar between the acts, we’re there watching the stage crew quickly turn everything around for the next performer, working right to the exact second that a camera pans on to the stage for that opening shot. You’re on the edge of your seat!
  1. The audience is just as fascinating to watch. You’re watching out for the songs that people go wild for, where suddenly an entire arena is dancing, singing or clapping along. And it never fails to surprise me how many Spanish flags can suddenly appear from nowhere for the Spanish entry!

Since our first visit to Stockholm 2016, we’ve been back to Lisbon 2018, and were due to return for Rotterdam 2020… until Corona came along! 🎻

My view at Eurovision 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal

How you can watch this year

While this year’s contest is cancelled, the European Broadcasting Union are hosting a special show this weekend: Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light.

The show will honour all 41 participating entries in a non-competitive format. It will also bring together 2020’s artists, from their locations across Europe, in a unifying performance of Eurovision 1997’s Love Shine A Light by Katrina And The Waves. They’re also threatening an “unforgettable” virtual sing-a-long, with fans across the world dressing up and forming a Eurovision choir!

In the UK, you can watch it on the BBC from 8pm-10pm on Saturday 16th May 2020. It’ll also be broadcast by other European broadcasters and available on their YouTube channel (but not in the UK).

This year’s favourites

What better way to spend your evening than put together an Excel spreadsheet that brings together rankings from the bookies and the big Eurovision fan sites? Well, that’s what I did. And here’s what came out.

Gjon’s Tears – Réspondez-moi

Switzerland

This is my winner, and I think this would probably have taken the crown for 2020. It’s one that is easy to imagine being sung as the final credits roll, as confetti rains down on the stage.

The song feels personal, and you hear Gjon’s vocals effortlessly call out in search of answers, as the song addresses themes of origin and self-questioning.

Speaking of the meaning of his entry, Gjon comments:
Everyone asks themselves why exactly are we here, where do we come from and where are we going? These are key questions, particularly for people from a migrant background. My parents are from Albania and Kosovo. I grew up in Switzerland and it’s my home, these are questions that I think about a lot.

The Roop – On Fire

Lithuania

This was one of my early additions to the Spotify playlist. It feels both modern and retro, and has a blend of both fun and serious pop. The performance is key to this entry, with dance moves befitting the Eurovision stage. For me though, it’s not a song that’s lasted repeated plays – so it’s no longer a personal favourite 🙁

Victoria – Tears Getting Sober

Bulgaria

This is the one that’ll make you cry when you don’t expect it. It’s a slow ballad, and like many entries this year, tackles the topic of mental health. Somehow, Victoria creates something that feels comforting and sweet, while also quite melancholy and, at times, haunting.

Ben Dolic – Violent Thing

Germany

A bop that wouldn’t sound out-of-place on the radio – it’s a very current sound with vibes of Dua Lipa/Calvin Harris/Sigala – indeed, the opening reminds me of that of Electricity. I imagine they’d throw some Ingrosso-style choreography into the performance too.

Daði og Gagnamagnið – Think About Things

Iceland

This has had quite the storm and is definitely a favourite with the public! Lots of friends have been sending this to me. It’s fun and quirky, with its bright outfits and simple yet captivating dance moves. It’s perfect for social media, proving somewhat of a viral hit on TikTok. I imagine it’d do well with the televote, but less sure how it’d fare with the jury.

Notable mentions go to: Norway (one to belt out in front of the mirror during lockdown loneliness), Malta (such an uplifting bop, I just wish I had a choir behind me), Romania (you can feel the pain).

There are always some good songs that fall by the wayside in the national song selections. Here’s three that’ve been regulars on my Spotify playlist this year:

• Elvana Gjata with Me Tana (Albania finalist)
  • Raylee with Wild (Norway finalist)
  • KHAYAT with Call for Love (Ukraine finalist)

In case you’ve not yet had enough, I’ll leave you with this 2012 banger. (It’s where the article title comes from!)

Loreen – Euphoria ❤️