LGBTQ+ at Regent’s

To mark the end of LGBTQ+ History Month, our JCR Gender & Sexuality Officer and JCR Social Equalities Officer introduce themselves and reflect on their roles.

Photo taken by Revd Esther Mason.

Eliott Thompson (History, 2019)
he/him

As the new JCR Equalities Officer it’s my responsibility to raise issues surrounding inclusion around college, attend the college Equality Committee and chair the new JCR Social Equalities Forum. It’s a position I’m incredibly proud to undertake over the next year and I want to be as transparent and honest as possible. If you have experiences in college that you consider a breach of equality, I will raise these issues with the JCR President or relevant SCR members so action can be taken.

Personally, as a gay trans man I am acutely aware of the issues the LGBT community can face in terms of acceptance. The national lockdown has thrown new appreciation onto events like pride marches: after it’s cancellation last summer, when COVID permits them again I will have a newfound gratitude towards being able to celebrate my identity again. During this LGBT history month, it’s imperative to recognise the diversity of experiences within the community, not just those from white, middle class cisgender men. Within the last few years Oxford has been forced to evolve on so many levels: from addressing its racist history to questioning its current associations with transphobia, Oxford is changing.

Harriet Gill (Theology and Religion, 2020)
they/she

February was LGBTQ+ History Month in the UK and it has been an opportunity to broaden our learning, to bring to light those whose histories have been buried or erased. As the incoming Gender and Sexualities Officer I have taken this month to compile resources, stories, and information to share with the Regent’s community in the coming months. LGBTQ+ History Month, while not necessarily experienced in person in Oxford, has still been invaluable. In recent months, light has been shed on necessary work to be done within the structures of the University, as well as on the extraordinary action that has already been taken by members of the community.

The role of Gender and Sexualities Officer is one I am extremely proud to be taking on, and I am committed to making space for much-needed conversation surrounding all experiences and identities within Regent’s, and the wider University. I want our community to be a joyful one, but also one committed to growth, change, and recognition of where we can, and will, do better.